Articles on this Page
- 11/27/17--05:00: _The Tao of Board Ga...
- 04/02/18--06:00: _New to Me: Winter 2...
- 07/16/18--11:27: _Announcing Meeples ...
- 08/13/18--06:00: _The Alpha Player Pr...
- 10/18/18--06:00: _Co-op Case Study: L...
- 10/25/18--06:00: _Co-op Case Study: T...
- 11/08/18--05:00: _Co-op Case Study: B...
- 11/15/18--05:00: _Co-op Case Study: S...
- 12/11/18--05:00: _Co-op Interviews: N...
- 12/13/18--05:00: _Co-op Case Study: P...
- 11/27/17--05:00: The Tao of Board Gaming VII
- 04/02/18--06:00: New to Me: Winter 2018 — Another Season of Co-ops
- 07/16/18--11:27: Announcing Meeples Together
- 10/18/18--06:00: Co-op Case Study: Lord of the Rings
- 10/25/18--06:00: Co-op Case Study: Thunderbirds
- 11/08/18--05:00: Co-op Case Study: Between Two Cities
- 11/15/18--05:00: Co-op Case Study: Sub Terra
- 12/11/18--05:00: Co-op Interviews: Nikki Valens
- 12/13/18--05:00: Co-op Case Study: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
Koans I-III can be found in The Tao of Board Gaming I (December 2009). Koans IV-VI can be found in The Tao of Board Gaming II (April 2010). Koans VII-IX can be found in The Tao of Board Gaming III (October 2012). Koans X-XII can be … Continue reading
For the last few years, I’ve been working on a book about the design of cooperative tabletop games with my co-author, Christopher Allen. We’ve recently finalized a contract with a publisher, and we hope to be offering the book to … Continue reading
For a while now I’ve been alluding to the fact that I’ve been working on a book on the design of cooperative board games, alongside my co-author, Christopher Allen. In fact, you can see the excess of cooperative games that … Continue reading
The biggest problem with cooperative game design is the issue of the controlling player — or if you prefer, the alpha player. It’s such a big problem that some players won’t play co-ops because of bad past experiences with controlling … Continue reading
Meeples Together (which is now being funded on Kickstarter) breaks down the design of cooperative games primarily through the analysis and dissection of existing releases. These discussions form the core of the book, but specific games are also highlighted in individual … Continue reading
Meeples Together is continuing to crowdfund on Kickstarter. It’s already blown through its first stretch goal, which adds a case study for Matt Leacock’s Forbidden Island to the book. We hope we’ll also be able to talk about his Forbidden … Continue reading
Meeples Together (which is nearing the end of its funding on Kickstarter) covers a whole spectrum of cooperative games. “True co-ops” are the heart of the book, but it also discusses traitor games, overlord games, and even the more classic … Continue reading
Our Kickstarter for Meeples Together ends this week, but we’ll be continuing to publish new case studies supplementing the book in the weeks and months to come. (We’ve got more than 50 additional case studies drafted, plus another handful planned.) … Continue reading
Nikki Valens was a Senior Game Designer at Fantasy Flight Games from 2013-2018, during which time she worked on several cooperative board games, including two of FFG’s top releases: Mansions of Madness and Arkham Horror. This compressed period of game … Continue reading
This co-op case study was originally posted at Meeples Together, a blog focusing exclusively on cooperative game design. And, if you missed the Kickstarter for my upcoming book on cooperative game design, you can now preorder it with Backerkit. Pathfinder … Continue reading